List:       kde-devel
Subject:    KDE - Thai
From:       Rudiger Koch <rkoch () sas ! co ! th>
Date:       1999-08-06 11:39:12

We are going to implement some Thai support for KDE. Most stuff needed for Thai
support is already provided by X (keymaps & fonts). One thing requires changes
in the  code, however:

Line breaks.

Thai script does not have whitespaces between words. This means KWord or
KMail need to be intelligent enough to find word or syllable boundaries to
break a line.

This is a problem very much related to hyphenization. I guess there are other
languages with the same problem (Japanese, Arabian, Hebrew?)

Questions:
- where is the right place to put the code in?
- is there anyone out there working on such problems?

Maybe the solution is to provide a linebreak.so lib that implements all the
rules for linebreaks?

TIA
-Rudiger
 --
 Software Advanced Solutions
 48 Villa 1 Yaowarat Soi 1

 // Why use Windows when the door is open and free of charge?
 // Linux: The choice of a GNU generation