List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Remote KOM/CORBA
From:       Simon Hausmann <tronical () gmx ! net>
Date:       1999-08-03 22:53:38

On Tue, 3 Aug 1999, John Zedlewski wrote:

> I heard a little mumbling a while back about remote KOM possibilities, and I
> was wondering: does KOM actually have facilities for distributed objects?
> If yes, what type of authentication/security is used?  Even if not, are
> there any security concerns that we need to watch out for?  And would it be
> possible to extend KOM to a secure, distributed component framework?

KOM is based on CORBA, and thus it *never* matters whether the object is
running in the local process or remotely.

The key to access and activate remote objects is the KDE daemon, in
particular the KActivator service. We currently use unix domain sockets
for IPC between kded-server and clients for security reason.

Bye,
 Simon