List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE and UK keyboards
From:       Russell Coker <russell () coker ! com ! au>
Date:       1999-08-03 12:27:13

On Tue, 03 Aug 1999, Matthias Ettrich wrote:
>On Tue, 03 Aug 1999, Russell Coker wrote:
>> How would I get KDE to recognise a UK keyboard?  I don't care about the
>> pounds sign, but what I need is the characters #/\~| which are in different
>> positions on the UK keyboard.  Also the UK keyboard has different codes for
>> the keys so I can't touch type.  Please forward this question to a KDE
>> mailing list if you don't know the answer.
>
>K Internationl Keyboard doesn't work for you (kibd)? It allows runtimes
>switching of the keyboard mapping.

It doesn't do what I want.  The only benefit I've ever received from kikbd is
handling of BS.

>Apart from that, the question isn't KDE related. On Unix, this is an issue of
>the X-Server. What X-Server are you using? With XFree, the /etc/XF86Config is
>what you want to change.

You are right.  After receiving advice from you and Uwe I changed my XF86Config
file to have the following (changed us to uk).
XkbKeymap   "xfree86(uk)"

There is another thing I would like to do.  I would like some conveniant way of
entering a pounds sign on a US keyboard.  IE something other than cut/paste
from a file containing it (as Paul suggested).  In a more general sense having
the ability to assign hot-keys to various characters could be very handy.

Also has anyone thought about issues related to support for multiple languages
at once?  Recently I was talking to a translator about the problems she had
with computers.  Apparently there is no computer which has enough characters
for all the European languages which have mostly the same alphabet (I'm
referring to English, French, German and the other languages which mostly just
differ in accents applied to characters).

--
This is the noise that keeps me awake