List:       kde-devel
Subject:    LinuxWorld Award and KDE-2.0
From:       Matthias Ettrich <ettrich () troll ! no>
Date:       1999-07-28 14:14:23

Congrats, fellow developers!

we won the Linux World 1999 Editor's Choice Award in the category Desktop
Environments.

Our main competitior, ude (see http://www.ude.org ), didn't get any price this
year, neither did eXode (see http://simplicity.net/exode/ ). Gnome got the
price for their window manager "Englightment". This is really admirable, given
the fact that E isn't even a part of Gnome and its author is everything else
but a Gnome ;-)

Have a look at
http://www.linuxworld.com/linuxworld/lw-1999-07/lw-07-finalists.html for
further details. KDE/Qt is represented in a couple of products, Qt itself, KDE,
COL-2.2 (including the amazing Lizard ;-) and Mandrake.

You can also learn the truth about Gnome on these pages: It's entirely
written by Miguel de Icaza with a little help from his friends at Red Hat Labs
*g*

Have a glass of champagne if you feel like it. Then take your time, compile
KDE-2.0 and start using it, please. Given the current stability of the code it
doesn't seem that many developers actually use it. Instead, I get the feeling
many people develop KDE-2.0 while still running KDE-1.x. I'm guilty for
doing this a well, shame on me. It is for sure a bad thing and nothing that will
help us to get the code on track again.

So, let's give us all a little push and start using our baby. I'm quite
confident that this will cure the current "second system"-desease faster than
we might expect.

Greets,

 Matthias