List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE 1.2-Preview: eyecandy.png
From:       Sven Radej <sven () lisa ! exp ! univie ! ac ! at>
Date:       1999-07-27 16:11:13

On Tue, 27 Jul 1999, Ming Poon wrote:
>>Hi folks,
>
>I was just informed by our UI design team that the word 'Trash' and the
>Trash icon are trademarks of the Apple Macontish and cannot be used. As
>Apple can go after us (Corel) legally, we will be changing some of the
>problematic icons in our version of KDE that may have certain legal
>implications. For the Trash, we are thinking of using the word Dumpster
>and a dark green Dumpster icon. Any thought on this icon and stupid
>trademark issues. Thanks.

So that is why MS has "Recycle Bin". I always wondered... Guess we should name
it "Garbage" and make icon as pile of trash(tm). Problem is that the band named
Garbage might sue us.

Or name it "Trash(tm)" with tooltip "Trash is trademark of Apple Inc."

Well, both proposals are not really usefull..
--
Sven Radej      radej@kde.org
KDE developer   Visit http://www.kde.org