List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KMaili pgp sign problem - HELP
From:       Sven Radej <sven () lisa ! exp ! univie ! ac ! at>
Date:       1999-07-26 22:50:05

On Mon, 26 Jul 1999, Kurt Granroth wrote:
>Sven Radej wrote:
>> The "-- " (dash-dash-space) is really causing the problem - removing the space
>> either by typing or changing kmail source solves the problem. So in worst case
>> I will commit this "fix". But before that, I'll try to see where is the
>> real source of problem.
>>
>> Does anyone know how and why pgp5 escapes/changes the "-- " string? Maybe
>> it tries to avoid signing the sig? ("signing the sig" - this sounds good.
>> Hope you know what I mean :-)
>
>Well, I don't know anything about pgp5 (haven't used pgp since 2.6) or the
>rationale.. BUT changing the sig delimiter from "-- " to "--" just to
>appease it is plainly wrong.  "-- " is the de facto standard for signature
>delimiters, anything is incorrect.  If KMail doesn't follow it, then it
>will be great for those few people that use pgp5 and will be broken for the
>99% of people that don't.
Ok, then in worst case I will change "-- " to "--" only if message is to be
pgp5-signed-only.

So far I didn't find any traces of mangling with any strings before or after
signing in kmail's pgp code. Neither did I find anyithing about
escaping/changing/interpreting "-- " in pgp docs.

 --
Sven Radej      radej@kde.org
KDE developer   Visit http://www.kde.org