List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KMaili pgp sign problem - HELP
From:       Kurt Granroth <kurt_granroth () email ! mot ! com>
Date:       1999-07-26 16:24:07

Martin Konold wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Jul 1999, Sven Radej wrote:
> > Does anyone know how and why pgp5 escapes/changes the "-- " string?
> > Maybe it tries to avoid signing the sig? ("signing the sig" - this
> > sounds good. Hope you know what I mean :-)
>
> If IIRC then is the "--" string defined in some RFC.

Not to my knowledge.  I believe that it is an Internet "convention".  To be
picky, it is NOT "--", it is "-- " (note the space).

If you want to get even more picky, here is the closest thing to an
official text on it.  This is from the alt.fan.warlord FAQ:

Signature Dashes

The "signature dashes" actually is a line which is used as the first line
of a signature. This is described in the "son-of-rfc1036":

If a poster or posting agent does append a signature to an article, the
signature SHOULD be preceded with a delimiter line containing (only) two
hyphens (ASCII 45) followed by one blank (ASCII 32).

As someone said: "Feel free to disagree all you want." ;-)

The sigdashes act as a separator which allows easy recognition of
signatures. This line consists of two dashes and a trailing space, ie "-- "
(note the space) and thus can be recognized in a data stream as the
character sequence "(newline)(dash)(dash)(space)(newline)". Some programs
recognize a signature by the (sigdashes). It's exactly that!

Let me make this perfectly clear: There are no additional characters
before, after or in between. This means no whitespace before the dashes, no
additional dashes, one space at the end, followed only by an newline which
ends the line. That's it!