List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Strange hangs with KDE 1.1 (KPanel)
From:       Johannes Mueller <joh () fsing ! uni-sb ! de>
Date:       1999-07-24 10:45:52

Hi ...

although I'm not a subsctiber of that list I read the archive sometimes.
I can report a similar problem of KDE 1.1.x

> For some time now once in a while KDE completely hangs. Nothing
> works, not even magic keys like CTRL-ALT-BCKSP, CTRL-ALT-F1,
> CTRL-ALT-DEL. It was until now always completely inexplicable. I
> never had a single clue what went wrong.

On my system (P100 80mb SuSE Linux 6.1, Kernel 2.2.5 XFree86 3.3.3)
it always occurs when I click an Icon on the desktop of which the letters of
the name are "near" (1-3 pixels) to the edge of the panel or several letters
last out of the screen far left, when the panel is not there. (I always have
the panel on the left side of the desktop). If you change the name of the
kdelnk so that the letters are completly on the screen or not near the panel
edge the problem does not occor. Not either when the letters reach under the
panel...

Sometimes only the X-Server crashes with signal 11, but sometimes it hangs.
The only possibility to get control over the computer is to log in by remote
and kill a process "Xwrapper :0" then I can do a init 2 and init 3 to get
kdm-login back. But the consoles (CTRL-ALT-F(1-6)) are completle messed up.
(rainbow colors on the screen, no joke)

This happend with KDE-1.1.1 and KDE-1.1-BRANCH CVS of Jul 22

feel free to ask me for more experiments

joh