List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: new KPanel application menu
From:       Harri Porten <porten () tu-harburg ! de>
Date:       1999-07-23 13:39:27

Pietro Iglio wrote:

> I think that the described solution of having desktop files pointing to
> other desktop files (if I have understood correctly) should be discarded.

I agree. The rc file concept promises to

a) be faster (when parsing)
b) save space
c) offer more flexibility (sorting order etc.) without touching the
format of .desktop files each time we need a new feature.

> I'm already implementing the menurc stuff, and I've already tought about the
> problem of new entries in any non-local menu: kpanel will have a file-watch
> mechanism to detect changes to any non-local menu. As soon as this happen,
> kpanel invokes the merging algorithm I have written and will compute again
> the set of applications listed in the menu.

What kind of file-watch are you thinking of. Another real-time one ? How
about calculating a checksum of the watched directories and recompute
the local structure if the checksum is broken to a modification in the
global setup.

I like David's Shift-Click suggestion as well. It promises to be a good
"power user" feature.

Harri.