List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Krash release (was Re: last style from Mosfet)
From:       Mosfet <mosfet () jorsm ! com>
Date:       1999-07-19 14:44:15

On Mon, 19 Jul 1999, Waldo Bastian wrote:

> > > The release is meant for developers not for non-developers.
> >
> > Sorry, this is not true. The developers are using cvs or cvsup. The only point
> > in making a public release is for users.
>
> We have a different opinion about this issue I guess :)

I don't see how making a public release can be interpreted as anything but as
something aimed at users to experiment with. Otherwise there is no point.
Developers have access to CVS/Cvsup and ftp snapshots (which are expected to be
experimental).

> > > If there are specific issues which you (or anyone) want to address before
> > > the Krash release I would like to hear about it.
> >
> > Perhaps very little works without crashing would be a good place to start.
>
> Having a release will be a good motivation to fix these crashes before
> that time then. I don't see the problem.

That is not acceptable. There has been hardly any focus on bugfixing - only on
adding functionality. To say we are going to have a public release to the users
in a little over a month and a half without any movement to fixing things up
*well* before the release is foolhardy at best. Many people are currently
involved in adding even more functionality to KDE, not troubleshooting at this
point. Until this happens (and for more than a few weeks), we *will not* have
anything usable to end-users. And contrary to what people are saying here those
will be the people trying official releases, and the current KDE CVS is not
useful to them, nor is it likely to be in a few weeks.

I really hate being the bad guy here and I *do not* think development is going
badly. KDE2.0 is going to kick some major arse and there are many very, very,
cool things being implemented. It's just that it is not something non-coders
will be able to use at all. For that to happen we will need to all agree to go
into a bugfixing phase and for more than a few weeks. I am not the only person
feeling that way, but I guess I don't mind being the bad guy these days...

mosfet@kde.org
mosfet@jorsm.com