List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: End of the single vs. double click discussion
From:       Michael Reiher <michael.reiher () gmx ! de>
Date:       1999-07-14 14:13:34

"Bjoern.Kahl" wrote:

> > What's the point of selecting one (and only one) file on kfm?
>
>  ? I don't understand what you try to ask. Please explain your
>    line (my english is really limeted - can't see sense in your
>    line.).
He probably means that itīs actually not neccessary to select a single
file in kfm.
I canīt remember when I did that the last time.;-) All important options
are available via context menu.

>  About kfm:
>
>  selecting exactly one file in kfm should go with SC. Usefull to
>  copy a file: SC, drag to destination and drop it. Droping then
>  should popup the wellknown optionbox (copy,link,move).
Why do you want to select it before? Just start dragging.

>  An other point: If SC select a file, you can't accidently
>  start an editor (or perform an other action) by simply
>  clicking on the wrong file. (Like "on, stop, can't copy now,
>  have to do xxx first" but - to late, mousebutton is down and up
>  again, and the maschine doing something it should not do.
Again, you donīt need to select a file to copy. Comming from the double
click universe you just need some time to get used to the single click
scheme. Thatīs normal, I think and btw no argument against SC. Itīs the
same the other way round. I tried kruiser(that explorer clone) recently.
It uses DC, and it was a completely strange feeling for me. Clicking
somewhere and nothing happens.
So once you are used to SC you wonīt click accidently on an icon. Thatīs
at least what I experienced.

>  A third nice feature would be (not possible until now, IIRC):
>  SC on a file, and its  full path is available as X-Selection
>  (for pasting in xterm or any other X- Application).
Right click on an icon, select Copy, go to an xterm and paste.
You can also drag a file/folder to konsole and when dropping there
choose either insert or cd.

>  Bjoern

Michael

--
Michael Reiher
     Student at Dresden University of Technology