List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: End of the single vs. double click discussion
From:       Roberto Alsina <ralsina () unl ! edu ! ar>
Date:       1999-07-14 7:39:27

On Wed, 14 Jul 1999, Bjoern.Kahl wrote:

I had written:
> > What's the point of selecting one (and only one) file on kfm?
>
>  ? I don't understand what you try to ask. Please explain your
>    line (my english is really limeted - can't see sense in your
>    line.).

Here it is in more words (or rather what I would have said after someone
answered my question ;-)

As far as I can see, there is no point on selecting a file in kfm. At
least there is no point in selecting *only* one file.

Since it's a useless action, why make it the easiest action to perform?

>  About kfm:
>
>  selecting exactly one file in kfm should go with SC. Usefull to
>  copy a file: SC, drag to destination and drop it.

No point on selecting it. Click, don't release, drag, drop.

> Droping then
>  should popup the wellknown optionbox (copy,link,move).
>
>  An other point: If SC select a file, you can't accidently
>  start an editor (or perform an other action) by simply
>  clicking on the wrong file.

Do you click on things accidentally very often?

> (Like "on, stop, can't copy now,
>  have to do xxx first" but - to late, mousebutton is down and up
>  again, and the maschine doing something it should not do.

This is only true if we assume people accidentally click on things. I
don't see people do that much.

If the click was intentional, this is only an improvement if the user
changes his mind in the split second between clicks (if he changes his
mind before clicking, it's the same thing, if he changes his mind after
the second click, it's the same thing). So, it's rather a theoretical
advantage, IMHO.

>  A third nice feature would be (not possible until now, IIRC):
>  SC on a file, and its  full path is available as X-Selection
>  (for pasting in xterm or any other X- Application).

Drop it onto the xterm.

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@unl.edu.ar
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Centro de Telematica
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Universidad Nacional del Litoral
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Santa Fe - Argentina
                                KDE Developer (MFCH)
An opinion you can't give reasons for is not an opinion worth having (I)