List:       kde-devel
Subject:    RE: RFC: new KPanel application menu
From:       "Dirk A. Mueller" <dmuell () gmx ! net>
Date:       1999-07-13 16:23:59

iglio@fub.it (Pietro Iglio) wrote:

> without the global ($KDEDIR) menu in the path.

> There is room for a new kmenueditor, Chris!

we didn't talk about this issue, but wouldn't it be easier to allow to
modify the panel menu just by drag&dropping items on it, in other ways
trying to make kmenuedit obsolete? And removing items by pressing right
mouse button on the entry you want to remove and select "remove from
panel"?

launching a menueditor, searching the right entry in the subdirs and
deleting it there isn't what I call a productive and easy way to do
that job. this is not dependend on the way the menueditor is
implemented. whenever a separate editor is necessary it is getting
uncomfortable.

M$ does a very good job providing everything you need whenever you need
it. And we can learn from them, by just providing the functionality of
modifying the panel just while you're browsing it. There is nothing
which could be easier to use.

I don't want to offend anybody, but KDE 1.x menu-editor wasn't that
intuitive to use. even a Konqueror support which simply allows to move
the .desktop files around is easier to use than current kmenuedit. I
wasn't able to do the simplest operation in it without reading the
manuals first. That's bad (just my personal opinion).

--
Dirk A. Mueller