List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: new KPanel application menu
From:       <pbrown () redhat ! com>
Date:       1999-07-13 14:34:05

The whole kpanel menu discussion has brought into my mind another point
that has been nagging me.  This is the .directory file issue.

Opinion: I don't think konqueror/kpanel should use .directory files at
all. I think it should use some sort of database for this information
instead. My reason is rather simple -- there are lots of times you can't
write to a directory or other URL that you will be looking at and you
still want to save the info / layout / whatever on that area.  Using
.directory files sometimes and not other times is inconsistent and
somewhat silly.

I propose that .directory files be eliminated and this meta-data (argh! I
said the word!) be stored in a database instead. :)

---
  Preston Brown                                    Systems Engineer
  pbrown@redhat.com                                Red Hat, Inc.