List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: questions, wishes, bugs
From:       John Corey <whoop () mtco ! com>
Date:       1999-07-12 17:04:52

Cristian Tibirna wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Jul 1999, Frank Baumgart wrote:
>
> > W1) drop kdbg, take over ddd development
> >     ddd is years ahead of kdbg in about every respect (features,
> >     flexibility, stability, usability) without doubt so I can not see
> >     much sense in creating an inferior debugger from scratch.
> >     (well if the author has fun doing it...)
>
> You like ddd more? Use it! Want it ported to KDE? Do it! Don't bash work
> of others. Anyways, kdbg has special features and integrates better to
> Qt/KDE  (both GUI- and technology-wise), so it's better than DDD in those
> aspects right now.

I use plain ol' gdb, therefore both kdbg/ddd need to be killed :).

> > W3) pay attention to usability aspects, KDE is quite poor in this
> >     respect (e.g. kpanel REQUIRES a mouse - compare to MS Windows)
>
> Any patch? Oh! You don't need to jump on it right away. Look in the TODO
> file of kpanel, I think keyb. navigation is already there. Of course, if
> somebody paid the kpanel developers, they'd to only kpanel programming and
> they'd put all the mirobolant features they dream in the code in a week or
> so.

I have wondered, is there any paid full-time kde developers, like RH has
that group of Gnome people?  Or do we all just do it because we're
insane/like it?

> > W4) drop "about KDE" in every "help" menu. Anyone thinks this is
> >     particular useful?
>
> Yes. It usefully lets people who dislike it to ignore it.

I can attest that this works.  I have successfully ignored it for well
over a year, right after I looked at it about two times.

> > W5) when displaying URLs, make sure they behave like a hyperlink.
>
> ?

I think he means, whenever "http://blah" or anything is printed, to
always highlight it, clicking launches the page, etc.  At least that
should be done for all the help files; I don't know if kmail/krn or the
like do this when messages have URLs...