List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: how to speed up compilation
From:       Alex Zepeda <garbanzo () hooked ! net>
Date:       1999-07-06 23:42:09

On Tue, 6 Jul 1999, Thomas Capricelli wrote:

> 	As explained by a famous linux kernel guru (don't remember which one),
> it's probably really worth doing a -j 5 or -j 6 in this case.
> 	The reason is that a compilation process is using a lot of disk access,
> so is often 'waiting' for disk info to arrive.

Actually, no.  I think that the KDE build is really CPU bound, especially
if you're using -pipe.  A good rule of thumb with x86 CPUs is -j[ncpus*2].
'Course if you've got a processor/os that scales better, 2 could probably
be increased.

If you're using fbsd 4, setting kern.quantum to 40000 w/ sysctl will
probably help keep your system a bit more responsive.

> 	This is why it's worth to have several processes in parallel on each
> cpu, IF YOU HAVE ENOUGH MEMORY. (else swapping will make things worse)

That too.

- alex

I thought felt your touch
In my car, on my clutch
But I guess it's just someone who felt a lot like I remember you.
  - Translator