List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: how to speed up compilation
From:       Werner Trobin <wtrobin () carinthia ! com>
Date:       1999-07-06 18:54:52

Steffen Hansen wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Jul 1999, Jan Varga wrote:
>

> > Hi,
> >
> > How can I speed up compilation of KDE source on Dual CPU system ?
> > I try run make with parameter "-j2" but it is not working.
> > It is only working when I pass only "-j" parameter, but it is sometimes
> > too much.
>
> I do
>
> setenv MAKE 'make -j 2'
> make
>
> That works for me.

At the moment I'm thinking about buying a Dual Celeron system.
Therefore I'd like to ask you if someone can provide some simple
"benchmark-results" (e.g. KOffice compile, 1 CPU vs. 2 CPUs).

Today I had a nasty idea. If I understood that SMP thing correctly
the --enable-final option does not allow to use the 2nd CPU (because
of dependencies), or am I wrong here?

If this thought was correct it would be cool if we (yes, Coolo would
have to do it, sorry Coolo) would create a new option (--enable-2).
Instead of creating one huge file (--enable-final) this should create
two files. Each of these files would contain half of the sources.
If you then build it with make MAKE="make -j 2" -j 2 this sould be
somewhat faster because you can use the 2nd CPU, too.
Of course there are disadvantages (e.g. the resulting lib is bigger,
Coolo has to implement, test, fix it,...), but I think it would be
worth the troubles...

Werner