List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: how to speed up compilation
From:       Thomas Capricelli <capricel () enst ! fr>
Date:       1999-07-06 12:30:09

On Tue, 06 Jul 1999, Steffen Hansen wrote:
>> How can I speed up compilation of KDE source on Dual CPU system ?
>> I try run make with parameter "-j2" but it is not working.

	As explained by a famous linux kernel guru (don't remember which one),
it's probably really worth doing a -j 5 or -j 6 in this case.
	The reason is that a compilation process is using a lot of disk access,
so is often 'waiting' for disk info to arrive.

	This is why it's worth to have several processes in parallel on each
cpu, IF YOU HAVE ENOUGH MEMORY. (else swapping will make things worse)

	I do use  '-j 3' on a 144Mb, mono-CPU powerPC system, and it's really
worth it.

Thomas
--

Thomas Capricelli	<capricel@enst.fr>