List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Embedding foreign parts
From:       Steffen Hansen <stefh () mip ! sdu ! dk>
Date:       1999-07-06 9:11:13

On Tue, 6 Jul 1999, Michael Koch wrote:

> Am Die, 06 Jul 1999 schrieb dsweet@chaos.umd.edu:
> > I saw some talk recently that said it was once possible to use kded to
> > connect to services across the network.  Good...that's CORBA.
> >
> > But, was/is it possible to embed and OpenPart which is being served from
> > another machine?  Is this part of X?
> >
> > I have so much reading to do :)
>
> Yes, that WAS possible, but itīs not possible anymore because of  security
> problems. We should think about this. Why use CORBA when you can not access
> from another host. Some services need this (or should need this).

What service needs this? There isn't really a way to activate a part that
isn't running locally (unless the part itself does so).

But keep in mind that kded can be made to listen on an inet socket again
by snipping away one line of code. This can be done, when someone comes up
with a clever security mechanism.

greetings,
--
Steffen Hansen