List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: using kded remote?
From:       Daniel Naber <dnaber () mini ! gt ! owl ! de>
Date:       1999-07-05 9:08:52

On Mon, 05 Jul 1999, you wrote:

> A public kded available from everywhere over the internet? Why that?

Because by using CORBA we get the remote stuff nearly for free.

Imagine some CORBA service thatīs not part of the KDE distribution.
A user wants to try it out. If he sees he has to download it,
./configure, make, make install, he will say: "These guys are using
CORBA for so many things and I still have to install every little
prgram on my own machine? Thatīs not what CORBA was made for!".

> Originally kded used an inet socket for IIOP, which meant that you could
> really use the IOR from everywhere in your network. But we recently

Then I suggest to introduce this again as an option. People
who want their services available to everyone can use kded that
way.

> "./my_public_server -kdedior foo" does not automatically register the
> server at kded. Have a look at the two responsible interfaces (KActivator

Yes, I know. But the given IOR will be used to figure out where to
register it, if I do so (i.e. at which kded), right?

> running on his system? I guess the average user doesn't want to
> deal/know about such internal stuff, or?

Hopefully there will be more than one service for one task. E.g.
the user wants to use a spellchecker: with such a GUI he can then
choose between a local one and several ones on the internet.

Regards
 Daniel

--
PGP Key fingerprint = 3D 98 9E D2 00 B6 E0 9D  7E B9 77 23 17 E2 11 6A