List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KMail progress?
From:       Rik Hemsley <rik () rikkus ! demon ! co ! uk>
Date:       1999-07-03 10:32:24

On 04-Jul-99 Don Sanders wrote:
> Stefan Taferner has put a lot of work into the next version of
> kmail, kmail2. The source code is in kdenonbeta/libkmsg (nearly complete) and
> kdenonbeta/kmail2 (not as complete), both require porting to the HEAD branch.

I don't want to tread on toes here, but librmm is almost identical in API to
libkmsg and is already ported. It also does away with the need to parse() and
assemble() anything as it's done automagically. IMO librmm + libkmsg should
merge. Stefan Taferner says that as libkmsg doesn't use Qt collections it
should be faster. If there is a significant difference, then kmail2 should
probably stick with libkmsg.

> I don't know what you mean by strong filters but if you want to update the
> GUI
> to show a tree of folders I think that would be cool. I'm looking at
> QListView
> at the moment and was thinking or replacing the KTabListBox that is used for
> the
> folder pane with it, probably I wouldn't/won't get around to this
> until October, and I would've/would talk to Stefan before I did it. (Or
> I might work on the kmail2 GUI). If you want to look showing a tree folders
> that would be great, I noticed that the non UI code already seems to be set
> up
> to handle nested folders.

Feel free to steal EmpathFolderWidget. I'm writing for KDE. Empath is merely my
mail work all wrapped up in an app so I can test it all.

> 2) Drag and drop is broken. I spent a lot of time trying to fix this but
> failed. I suspect the snapshot of QT I was using had broken drag and drop
> stuff.

Is it still using KDE dnd ?

> If you are interested in something more major than you might like to contact
> Stefan Taferner and offer to help with finishing of the new libkmsg code. He
> would be delighted to get help finishing this off as he is very busy now,
> though he did recently check in a round of updates.

I suggest you also subscribe to kde-pim@kde.org which is there for discussing
KDE-related mail issues.

Cheers,
Rik