List:       kde-devel
Subject:    KPANEL (Re: kde-1.1.2 issues)
From:       Cristian Tibirna <ctibirna () total ! net>
Date:       1999-07-03 2:46:52

On Sat, 3 Jul 1999, Rolf Offermanns wrote:

> OK, i know this way. But what if the app is not in my K Menu?

The way kpanel functions now requires that the link in the panel be a
physically real (or at least a symbolic link to a) kdelnk file. This file
must be present in $KDEDIR/share/applnk/*, $HOME/.kde/share/applnk/* or
$HOME/Desktop (or whatever place your desktop directory is put in).

I must acknowledge that it occured to me to think that it's annoyingly
easy to put a desktop link on the panel, delete the link from the desktop
and discover that the corresponding one in the panel doesn't work anymore.

A solution (Pietro?) would be to adopt what windows does: a special
directory for the panel links (and copy the links from their original
place at the moment the user drops them on the panel).

How does Gnome handle this?

Cristian