List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KOffice file format
From:       Harri Porten <porten () tu-harburg ! de>
Date:       1999-07-03 1:23:31

Roberto Alsina wrote:

> http://www.xshare.com/apps/app.php3?HierID=66&AppID=2570
>
> Not sure how interesting this will be, but this claims to be:
>
> COLE 1.0.0
>                           a free C OLE library that allows to handle
>                           OLE2 streams. The division in streams of an OLE2
>                           file is as well suported as to generate an OLE2
>                           file out of streams.

I contacted the current maintainer a few days ago and just got a
positive answer, ie. he'll be happy to help including the library.

A little background for those who haven't dealt with this topic before:
Extracting the streams isn't actually difficult if you know *how*. The
Word, Excel etc. formats are covered in publically available
specifications but the way this data is stored isn't documented at all.
Some German guy reverse-engineered the most important parts and
published his knowledge on the web (LAOLA).

Therefore, we need a common OLE library (small) and individual filters
(big).

Mmmmmh. Rethinking the whole thing I realize that I was in contact with
the "current maintainer" of 0.2.0 while the above URL names one of the
author who publishes 1.0.0. Strange. Have to verify who's the one to
talk to.

Harri.