List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Preparing 1.89 (Was: KDE 1.2  - some additions)
From:       Torsten Rahn <torsten () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-07-02 9:48:52

> I think we can just use the 1.89 release for this. It makes

Nope! We can't!

> no sense to have another release for artists only. Once the
> 1.1.2/1.2 is released we should try to do a fast release cycle
> to get 1.89 out. (e.g. 2 weeks preparing libs + 2 weeks lib
> freeze = 4 weeks).

O.k.,  estimating that KDE 1.2 will be out by end of august this
would mean that the artist-team would have to  *wait* at least
*four weeks* until they could begin their work! (And this would
be quite senseless!) Not enough that this is a complete waste
 of time:
>From my personal experience with releases I estimate that the
Alpha-release would be out by mid-october (due to delays)!!!
This is exactly the time when lectures begin/holidays end!--
 As many  artists are students (who don't study arts -- so it's
 not possible for them to (re-)use their artistic work for their
 studies/diplom- thesis ... (like some of the  programmers do!))
 this would mean that they would not have the time then to
spend much  time  on KDE-development!
That's why I want a quick&verydirty 'release' by mid-august
(when most people have their holidays and when they have
enough time to do some senseless things ;-)
There should be a three day freeze (or so) to make things
at least compile. After that binaries should be made and
this 'crap'  should be announced on the artist-  (and
perhaps on the documentation-) mailing-list only!
That way the artists can do their work almost parallel to the
programmers! Until KDE 1.2 artists were always working
far behind the programmers (inspite of the fact that their
work is not much less time-consuming/difficult!).
Please: let's do it in another way this time!

Torsten