List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Preparing 1.89 (Was: KDE 1.2  - some additions)
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () ens ! ascom ! ch>
Date:       1999-07-02 7:34:55

Torsten Rahn wrote:

> Soon after KDE 1.2 will be  released (which should read: within
> 14 days) we should make an 'internal binary-alpha-release
> for artists' to give our great artist-team (assume that most are
> not  programmers and not able to  compile the HEAD-branch
> themselves!) the chance to take  part on the current
> KDE 2.0 -development immediately after KDE 1.2 is finished.
> This release is just meant to give the artists a thought
> how the current apps look and what problems/ chances exist.
>
> It's not meant to be
> -stable
> -avaiable for every platform
> -distributed by any linux-distribution
> -announced officially anywhere but on kde-artists/kde-devel
>  mailing-list.
> - anything that should make people loosing their hair
> (To those who have already seen me: Yepp, you're right: I
>  won't loose too much hair regardless what  happens!!!
> HAHAHA!)

I think we can just use the 1.89 release for this. It makes
no sense to have another release for artists only. Once the
1.1.2/1.2 is released we should try to do a fast release cycle
to get 1.89 out. (e.g. 2 weeks preparing libs + 2 weeks lib
freeze = 4 weeks).

A lot of people want to see koffice, a lot of people want to
use/develop with Qt2.0.

We can already start to think which areas of KDE need to be
more or less working before 1.89. I can think of:

kpanel
kwm
konqy
koffice
kdesktop
kcontrol

It doesn't have to be perfect, but it should have some stability
and the basic functionality should be there.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
KDE, A New Millennium, A New Desktop                      http://www.kde.org