List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Preparing 1.89 (Was: KDE 1.2 - some additions)
From:       Harri Porten <porten () tu-harburg ! de>
Date:       1999-07-02 11:53:23

Nicolas Brodu wrote:

> Whatever the name of the prerelease, we should divert the attention from it. I
> mean, KDE2.0 has some aura around it, and it would be very bad to see a devel
> version spread on the net and on CDs just because it contains glimpses of
> what KDE2.0 could/will be...
>
> IMHO, releasing a freezed snapshot at the same time of kde 1.2, but only on kde
> lists, goes in this direction. And with QT styles, and theme manager, the new
> apps and etc., the earlier the artists get to KDE2.0 the better.

Given the number of people monitoring the kde lists any attempt to
"hide" any release would be rather senseless IMO. I agree with clearly
marking it as unstable, incomplete, for developers only etc. but any
effort to play it down against 1.x won't work. There *is* a lot of hype
about 2.0 but the more we hold it back the fewer programmers will have
joined finishing it and the more people will be disappointed when it
will be finally released.

Just my 2 cents.

Harri.