List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Preparing 1.89 (Was: KDE 1.2 - some additions)
From:       Nicolas Brodu <nicolas_brodu () HP-France-om17 ! om ! hp ! com>
Date:       1999-07-02 11:40:22

On Fri, 02 Jul 1999, you wrote:
> > O.k.,  estimating that KDE 1.2 will be out by end of august this
> > would mean that the artist-team would have to  *wait* at least
> > *four weeks* until they could begin their work! (And this would
> > be quite senseless!) Not enough that this is a complete waste
> >  of time:
>
> In that case we can try to do a 1.89-prerelease (aimed at the
> artists) at the same time as 1.2. This pre-release can then act
> as a base for the real 1.89 release which should then appear
> about 4 weeks laters. This prerelease will not be announced then
> since we want to focus the attention to 1.2.
>
> Do people see problems with this time-frame?

Whatever the name of the prerelease, we should divert the attention from it. I
mean, KDE2.0 has some aura around it, and it would be very bad to see a devel
version spread on the net and on CDs just because it contains glimpses of
what KDE2.0 could/will be...

IMHO, releasing a freezed snapshot at the same time of kde 1.2, but only on kde
lists, goes in this direction. And with QT styles, and theme manager, the new
apps and etc., the earlier the artists get to KDE2.0 the better.

Cheers,
Nicolas Brodu, brodu@iie.cnam.fr
Eleve-Ingenieur 2eme annee (Institut d'Informatique d'Entreprise)
  http://www-eleves.iie.cnam.fr/brodu (libsmb)
KDE developer, brodu@kde.org
  http://www.kde.org, Color outside the lines !