List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Daemon for managing dialup internetconnections
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () ens ! ascom ! ch>
Date:       1999-06-28 8:00:15

"Jesse D. Sightler" wrote:

> "Bjoern.Kahl" wrote:
> >   I personaly need a way, to dial out while I am not logged in.
> >   (newstransfer in the early morning, itīs to expensive rest of the day)
>
> I'm sure that I'm missing something here when I ask this, but why
> shouldn't you just use diald for dial on demand?

Good question.

diald doesn't work very well for a lot of applications on machines
with dynamic IP-addresses. The first packet is being sent with
a wrong IP-address. This does trigger diald, but the first request
of the application get's lost.

Also the application doesn't get a notification when the network
connection gets lost.

Cheers,
Waldo
--