List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Little Summary of "Daemon for managing dialup internetconnections"
From:       Matt Koss <koss () napri ! sk>
Date:       1999-06-28 7:07:57

Hello,

as I thought more about this, I came to this conclusion :

Basically I wanted to make a signal / slot stuff for informing apps about the
connection and additionally to have a possibility to request / close connection.

Naturally I got the idea of doing this a CORBA way.
But even if I hope, that the current MICO bloat situation will be solved, the
CORBA approach in this simple task will still have more overhead then the
approach I want to propose now.
Also, as we heard, the GNOME people will not use CORBA for this, so the common
IDL is not needed.
It's a little pity, because this way all network apps could share the same
framework for getting the connection information ( imagine GNOME mail client in
KDE ).

The proposed approach :
-------------------
We can simply create a wrapper around NetMgr, let's say a class called
KNetMgr, which would use NetMgr methods to query a connection watcher, and emit
the appropriate signals. KDE apps would then have to create an instance of this
class and connect the signals to custom slots.

For permanent connection would KNetMgr simply not connect to a NetMgr at all
and never emit signal "disconnected".

This general class is needed, because app should not have to keep the
information about the type of connection.

>> "Bjoern.Kahl" wrote:
>
>>>  What I wrote is supposed to be a generall, systemwide
>>>  connecting-service. using X-Based thing will kill one of its
>>>  design-goals: prevent timebased connecting and disconnecting
>>>  from interrupting hand-made connectings:

The proposed approach would conform to this, KDE apps would request / close
connection through NetMgr and if the connection is already here, nothing would
happen, as well as request for closing wouldn't close connection if some app is
still registered with NetMgr.

The above problem will be probably not present in home / one-user systems, but
the proposed approach would work in all environments.

Kcm module would be used for configuring all features of NetMgr. User could
specify e.g. kppp or kisdn for connecting / closing.
I guess that this would require some more cooperation on kppp / kisdn side in
order to cleanly open / close connection ( kppp -k is not enough ).
This applies also to handling errors when connecting.

Also requesting / closing of connections should be think out very carefully -
maybe configuration on per-app basis ?

Another thing is starting of the NetMgr server. This would be probably also
configurable from kcm module - whether should it be started automatically at
the login or not (system could have it already running, even before entering X)

BTW, is NetMgr suitable for ISDN connections ?
I am writing kisdn everywhere, but I still don't know if it can be used here.

            Comments / Opinions ?

					Matt

--
Matej Koss	e-mail: koss@napri.sk