List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Daemon for managing dialup internetconnections
From:       "Bjoern.Kahl" <Bjoern.Kahl () kiel ! netsurf ! de>
Date:       1999-06-25 11:11:32

On 25-Jun-99 Waldo Bastian wrote:
> "Bjoern.Kahl" wrote:

>> On 25-Jun-99 Simon Hausmann wrote:
>> > On Thu, 24 Jun 1999, Havoc Pennington wrote:

>>  What I wrote is supposed to be a generall, systemwide
>>  connecting-service. using X-Based thing will kill one of its
>>  design-goals: prevent timebased connecting and disconnecting
>>  from interrupting hand-made connectings:

> I can think of a setup like:

> PPP-dialer
>     ^
>     |(3)
> +--------+   (1)
> | NetMgr | <----> Non-X applications
> +--------+
>     ^
>     |(1)
> +--------+   (2)
> |  CORBA | <----> KDE/GNOME applications
> | Service|
> +--------+

> Where (1) Is more or less the current NetMgr interface,
> (2) is an IDL interface and
> (3) is a way to fire up a connection

> In a more desktop centric approach you could go for:

> +--------+   (1)
> | NetMgr | <----> Non-X applications
> |        |
> |  CORBA |   (2)
> | Service| <----> KDE/GNOME applications
> |        |
> |        | <----> PPP-dialer
> +--------+   (3)
>
> With of course the restriction that you can't dial out if
> you don't have the desktop up and running.

  I personaly need a way, to dial out while I am not logged in.
  (newstransfer in the early morning, it´s to expensive rest of the day)

> If we have (1) and (2) standardized, everyhting is defined
> for the applications.

> The rest what we need is a way to specify what to use for
> (3). E.g. whether to use ppp-on or kppp or something else.

 I agree.
 I will change/add some things to (1) if requested.
 (2) has to be done by someone, how knows enough about CORBA.
 (3) is no problem, I think. You may specify any command and its
     parameters in NetMgrs configfile. We can use kppp to setup
     how dialing works (which serial-port etc (I never tried kppp))
     and use Matt Koss´s kmc-module (see his mail) to let NetMgr
     know how to use this kppp-configured dail-methode (I assume,
     kppp don´t hit the pppX-netdevice directly, but runs pppd in
     someway (shell-script?)).

  Bjoern