List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Announcement: Daemon for managing dialup internetconnections
From:       Bernd Gehrmann <bernd () physik ! hu-berlin ! de>
Date:       1999-06-25 11:10:04

On Fri, 25 Jun 1999, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> Bjoern Kahl wrote:
> >  But I don't know why we should use it. (Never understood why kppp,
> >  xppp, kisdn and friends make sense: I configure how to connect or
> >  disconnect when I install the system, and after that point, i just
> >  type in "goonline" or click on a button, which in turn start
> >  isdnctrl or pppd. (Normal user should not play with
> >  systemconfiguration, and networksetup is part of
> >  systemconfiguration, IMHO. Especially on multiuser machines).)
>
> If the normal user is the owner of the machine, he/she will be
> the one who has to do the system configuration. kppp, kisdn et al.
> are ways to make this part of the configuration easier.

They could make it even easier if they were smart enough to
use the system's native configuration files instead of
proprietary crap. In fact, if you already have a chat script
(as is usually the case at many german universities), then
using kppp is _more_ difficult than e. g. using Debian's
ppp-config and copying the chat script into the system
config.

Bernd.