List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Multi column lists
From:       Don Sanders <dsanders () cch ! com ! au>
Date:       1999-06-23 23:21:21

On Thu, 24 Jun 1999, Rik Hemsley wrote:
> On 18-Jun-99 Don Sanders wrote (In an email that he strangely has no
recollection of spending):
> > Does anyone know if QListView supports drag and drop reordering of fields?
> > KTabListBox does. Also KTabListBox supports several different sorting
types
> > 1) Simple Ascending/ Descending >
> I think that's the standard.
>
> > 2) A complex type giving every column a priority.
>
> You can do this by catching header clicks.
>
> > 3) Kinda supports an external sorting type. Kmail uses this for its three
> > value
> > sorting type. Here clicking on a row (eg Subject) iterates the user through 3
> > sorting styles. Ascending (by Subject), Descending (by Subject) and Order of
> > arrival.
>
> Again, you can do this by catching header clicks.
I take it you mean mean overriding the setSorting method ?? No? How else does
one "catch header clicks"? Overriding the setSorting method worked but seems a
little cludgy.

I am have been comparing ktablistbox with qlistview. I have a few concerns
about features I would like to enhance ktablistbox with, but don't know if
qlistview supports them.

1) Is there a method that will scroll the list to show another item as
long as the currently selected item isn't scrolled out of view. (For when new
mail is added to the currently selected folder).

2) Is there a method to set a background pixmap for a QListView.
setBackgroundPixmap doesn't seem to work and is deprecated anyway. If it is
possible can the background pixmap be tiled?

3) Is there a method to show icons in the header columns? Well that's a loaded
question I've been playing with the undocumented setColumnText function that
allows you to place an icon before the text. It's okay but limiting (what if I
want the icon after the text?)

I've only spent an hour or two looking at qlistview so there my be other things
too.

BFN,
Don.