List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: QString or QCString for file names?
From:       iglio () fub ! it (Pietro Iglio)
Date:       1999-06-23 7:08:03

On 6/22/99, 10:57:56 AM, Waldo Bastian <bastian@ens.ascom.ch> wrote
regarding Re: QString or QCString for file names?:

> Pietro Iglio wrote:
> >
> > It is my understanding that any string that can be displayed must be
> > of type QString. My question is: can I use QCString for file names
> > and paths?

> Yes, but why would you?

I'm trying to optimize kpanel resource requirements (memory/cpu
usage).
There are many string operations on file names (concatenation,
substring, etc),
that are performed on QStrings. I was wondering if we can gain
something replacing
QStrings with QCStrings wherever it is possible.

> In my opinion it is by far the easiest if you just use QStrings for
> everything _UNLESS_ you have a very good reason for not doing so.

Did anyone measured the performance impact using unicode rather than
old-style
strings? If it is minimal, I'll feel much more relaxed when using
QString
for everything :-)

-- Pietro