List:       kde-devel
Subject:    RE: kcontrol and setuid
From:       Rik Hemsley <rik () rikkus ! demon ! co ! uk>
Date:       1999-06-22 20:28:43

On 22-Jun-99 Carlo Robazza wrote:
[...]
> Any thoughts?

Yes, IMHO people shouldn't be doing any operations which require root
priviledges from KDE, but that's just IMHO :)

I think the best idea is to simply suggest people run kcontrol as root if
that's what they want to do, along with a warning that it's not necessarily a
Good Thing.

I understand that KDE is used on single-user-only machines, but I think if
you're using something like Linux on a single-user box, it should be up to the
distributor how you get to do stuff like this, and it should probably be done
from within the distributor's setup tool, be it linuxconf, yast, etc.

Of course, there's nothing to stop a distributor making a Qt linuxconf i/f.

Cheers,
Rik

--
KDE - Colour outside the lines  : http://www.kde.org