List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: .desktop and KDE-1.X
From:       <pbrown () redhat ! com>
Date:       1999-06-21 15:42:49

On Mon, 21 Jun 1999, Prasanth Kumar wrote:

> <snip>
> > On Sun, Jun 20, 1999 at 08:40:09PM +0200, Matthias Ettrich wrote:
> > >
> > > Even if it might be far too late now, but shouldn't the "*.desktop"
> files rather
> > > be called "*.lnk"?
> > Damn, that is the Windows way of naming links isn't it ?
> > The internal format is far from being compatible !
> >
>  <snip>
> Change it to "*.link" so it doesn't have the same extension.

I don't think this is going to happen.  We changed to .desktop as a nice
concession to compatibility between GNOME and KDE.  Changing to .link
simply because it is a nicer name will break compatibility with both
again, and gain us only a slight visible change, not an effective change.
While I agree .desktop isn't the perfect name, we can learn to deal with
it.

---
  Preston Brown                                    Systems Engineer
  pbrown@redhat.com                                Red Hat, Inc.