List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Haleluja :-)
From:       Steffen Hansen <stefh () mip ! sdu ! dk>
Date:       1999-06-19 14:36:58

On Sat, 19 Jun 1999 weis@stud.uni-frankfurt.de wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Kay Roemer convinced my yesterday that I should try to strip mico
> as good as possible to get a slim version. I was very sceptical
> but here is what I did:
>
> 1) I removed IR from mico and commented out every piece of code
>    using it. A hell lot of work :-(

Isn't the IR used in KDE?

> 2) Removed DynAny

What's that? Is it an Any that it's extraction code on the server-side?

> 3) Removed all the SSL Stuff

Out with that ;-)

> 4) Removed the POA and its policy stuff

Argh. We use POA all over the place, and KOM uses BOA. We need both i
think.

> And here is what I got :-)
>
> a) An ORB that compiles on a single PII400 in 3min,10secs!!!
> b) [weis@teutates weis]$ ls -l /opt/mico/lib/libtinymico2.2.7.so
>    -r-xr-xr-x   1 weis     users     1826776
>
>    1.8MB !!!!!

Well, it's not exactly tiny, but still really good.

> c) The size of the account example is 43kB instead of 100Kb now!

OK, that is because of ministl only?

> With the real STL I got 2.6 MB and 100kB accont example.
> The rest of the optimization was done with mini-stl.
> As you can see STL sucks !!!!!

Yes, it sucks big time. But ministl sucks for those who need a real stl.

> .... who got almost no sleep this night ....

Oh, then you wont size-optimize the SGI STL today? ;-)

greetings,
--
Steffen Hansen
email: stefh@mip.sdu.dk, stefh@imada.sdu.dk, hansen@kde.org