List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [FW: Re: Different corba implementations]
From:       Kurt Granroth <kurt_granroth () email ! mot ! com>
Date:       1999-06-16 16:28:08

Phil Mesnier wrote:
> First, the size issue, I did some poking around and yes, ACE is
> on the order of 4 megs, TAO on the order of 3.5 megs.  This is
> larger than MICO, but not by orders of magnitude.  I have seen
> that using the egcs compiler on solaris make a product that _IS_
> an order of magnitude larger, but that is because it adds all the
> object files, symbol tables and whatever else is need for debugging.
> Certainly not what is needed for a shipping product.

Hmm.. okay, I'll admit to this: my ACE/TAO experience was on a Solaris
box and my MICO experience is on Linux.  I've noticed that Linux
libraries and executables are significantly smaller than the Solaris
equivalent so I wasn't really comparing apples to apples, there.

> Also Kurt, your comment about Iridium is not entirely correct.
> Iridium uses Orbix as its orb, as Iridium predates TAO by a number
> of years.  Iridium uses ACE extensively.

Whoops!  I sometimes screw up ACE and TAO and use one where I mean the
other.  Now I'm still thinking that they use TAO somewhere in Iridium
(I could *swear* that I was talking with an engineer that was doing
just that in an Iridium gateway).. but you're right about it not being
"the" orb.

> --
> Phil Mesnier
> Sr. Software Engineer,          http://www.ociweb.com
> Object Computing, Inc.          +01.314.579.0066

Well, this explains why you know a bit about ACE/TAO.  Object
Computing, Inc conducted the CORBA class that I took awhile back.  It
was based heavily on TAO. :-)

--
Kurt Granroth            | granroth@kde.org
KDE Developer/Evangelist | http://www.pobox.com/~kurt_granroth