List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Is this legal (new strings)
From:       Nicolas Brodu <nicolas_brodu () HP-France-om17 ! om ! hp ! com>
Date:       1999-06-14 16:24:00

Sven Radej <sven@lisa.exp.univie.ac.at> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need a new string "Compact Folders on Exit" Don't faint Coolo, read on!
>
> In kmail.pot I found:
> "C&ompact" and "Folders"
>
> So I need "on" and "exit". I found
> "On" and "E&xit" and "Quit"
>
> The problem is that "On" is in the sense on/off and not in the sense of "do
> this on Exit"

I think the grammar might not be the same in every language and it's not
that simple. At least, I didn't find a meaningful sentence made with
word-to-word translations of "Compact", "on" and "exit" in french (but
I'm not in the translator team)

> 1.) May I construct strings mixing them from kde.pot and kmail.pot?
> 2.) What do you think about this option in kmail settings:
>     "E&xit: C&ompact Folders"
>     "Quit: C&ompact Folders"

Again, at least in French, you need more words for a correct translation
(would be "Quit: Compact the folders")

>      or simply "C&ompact Folders on exit" where "on exit" is not translated?

Not better if "compact" and "folders" are taken separately.
I'm sorry for the translators but it seems to me a new string is needed.

Nicolas Brodu