List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: To make your program work well with non-Latin1 letters,
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () ens ! ascom ! ch>
Date:       1999-06-11 9:08:05

Alex Zepeda wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Jun 1999, Waldo Bastian wrote:
>
> > Stephan Kulow wrote:
> > > I mean, how useful are korean file names
> > > when you can't do anything outside of KDE with them?
> >
> > For a closed-minded german they are not usefull at all.
>
> But this also assumes that all FS functions are safe for unicode or other
> "odd" filenames.  Is NFS?  Are non Linux NFS implementations? Is Samba?
> etc.

To my knowledge most filesystems support UTF8 as a transparant way to save
unicode filenames. If your tools don't support unicode your filenames will
look a bit funny but it shouldn't break anything.

I am by no means a character encoding expert so if you think I am wrong
please supplky me with some hard information.

> I don't think it has a huge amount to do with being close minded.

KDE pretends to be international. Not supporting other languages because
'maybe it might not work' looks like unwillingness to me. I bet we handle
filenames with umlauts properly.

Cheers,
Waldo
--