List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Problem with KFM on multiple machines
From:       David Faure <david.faure () insa-lyon ! fr>
Date:       1999-06-09 18:16:09

WARNING.
This change makes the current KDE-1.2 incompatible with KDE-1.1.1 !!

If you start an app linked to kfmlib-1.1.1, it will look for ~/.kde/share/apps/kfm/pid_0.0
but kfm (from KDE-1.2) will not write that file, but ~/.kde/share/apps/kfm/pid<HOSTNAME>_0.0
so nothing works.

It means one can't use KDE-1.2 base apps (kpanel, kfm) with KDE-1.1.1 libs
(which was the point about keeping binary compatilibity, right ?)

I just stumbled upon that problem, and I can tell you it's very annoying
when the panel can't start anything.

(I'm glad we know have krun to prevent those problems !!)

The question now is : do we want to revert this, in order to keep compatilibity
with 1.1.1 libs, or do we rely on anybody using kfm-1.2 to ALSO use kdelibs-1.2 ?

--
David FAURE
david.faure@insa-lyon.fr, faure@kde.org