List:       kde-devel
Subject:    The joy of Xlib
From:       Sven Radej <sven () lisa ! exp ! univie ! ac ! at>
Date:       1999-06-09 13:15:46

Hi,

I finaly made an experimental patch to KWM so that it now more or less
supports (experimental too) ART widgets.

ART widgets are widgets that can ignore/accept/change geometry proposal from WM
before they are resized. ART is working name and I forgot what is "T" in it.

Right now I have nice window wich maintains it's aspect ratio 2:1 without any
flicker.

But, the problem suddenly arose - and I should have known that it would: When
(K)WM is in transparent mode it grabs the server.
ART requires X comunication during resize between (K)WM and the widget.
When WM grabs the server (so that it can draw hollow rectangle as you move
the mouse without fear of screen garbling) widget doesn't get any proposals
from WM and cannot respond.

Is there any way to:
- Grab pointer and keyboard, deny all clients right to make any changes on the
screen without grabbing the server, and still allow (one) window to receive and
send XMessages, change properties etc. ?

I fear not.

Therefore this will be possible only in opaque mode; Some solution might be to
change KWM not to draw rectangle, but to use an transparent widget. This on the
other hand would be to slow for small machines or network connections, I'm
afraid. And it would make optional changes to other WM's too too heavy.

sigh.
--
Sven Radej      radej@kde.org
KDE developer   Visit http://www.kde.org