List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: How to make your translators lives easier
From:       Petter Reinholdtsen <pere () hungry ! com>
Date:       1999-06-05 16:43:12

Another problem I have discovered while translating to Norwegian, is
the lack of consistency both in the English text and the Norwegian
translation.  Two simple examples are "Quit" vs "Exit" and "Folder" vs
"Directory".

According to <URL:http://developer.kde.org/kdestd/www/kde-style.html>
and <URL:http://www.kde.org/style_book/style-book.html>, the correct
menu entry to stop a KDE program is "Exit", yet kppp, kscd, ktalk,
kwebtree, konqueror, caitoo, ksame and kfinger, uses "Quit" or
variants for the same consept.

A related problem is the use of "...".  Some programs use "Open...",
while other uses "Open ...".  The two style documents don't seem to
agree on which way is correct.  This gives two text which must be
translated, when they should be identical.

I've made a small script to run thru all .po files, and report all
text with different translations.  I've used it to remove lots of
typos and discover the inconsistent texts in the Norwegian
translation.

You find it at
<URL:http://www.student.uit.no/~pere/linux/check-po-files>
--
##>  Petter Reinholdtsen <##    | pere@td.org.uit.no
 O-  <SCRIPT Language="Javascript">window.close()</SCRIPT>