List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Zone allocator (KHTML)
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () ens ! ascom ! ch>
Date:       1999-06-02 9:49:14

Hiya,

I'm proud to announce the succcesfull deployment of a Zone allocator
in KHTML. The Zone allocator allows to allocate all objects used for
building up a HTML-page in several large (128Kb) blocks of memory.
The blocks of memory are freed when the HTML-page is destructed,
not when the indivual objects get destructed.

The advantages are:
*) No overhead from malloc/new. This saves about 10% for large pages.
*) The blocks are (at least under Linux 2.2.x) returned to the OS
when the page is destructed. This is unfortunately not the case with
traditional memory allocation.

I'm considering to move some support classes for this to kdecore if
there are more applications who could benefit from this. My question
is:
     Do you know/have an application which uses large amounts of
     objects (e.g. 1000) which have a strongly coupled lifecycle?

These applications might benefit from a Zone allocator. (A newsreader
perhaps?)

I am also interested to learn about applications that use a large
number of objects of the _same_ class without necesarrily a strongly
coupled lifecycle.

I would like to thank Steffen Hansen and Robert Schöftner for providing
me with good ideas.

Cheers,
Waldo
--