List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: -fno-exceptions?
From:       <listasj () cban ! com>
Date:       1999-05-28 16:45:07

> I cannot agree. Do we really need to punish every KDE user with bloated
> libraries just because a chat-program is written in a way incompatible with the
> rest of the programs?
>
> Exceptions are a cool tool on a technical level, but if it leads to such
> bloated libraries we should avoid it like hell.

Then let's remove kSirc from CVS.  Exceptions are fundamental to kSirc it
uses them for it's main parsing loops (no, their use is not only for error
handling).  Exceptions are an important C++ feature and going backto
setjmp/longjmp is plain stupid.

In due respect through, egcs is starting to use exceptions (example of new
was given earlier) so you're not going to be able to get away from them.
The only bloat is in disk space usage, and with 8 gig disks selling for
< $300 canadian I really don't care anymore. (if you don't beleive me,
read up on linux memory managment)

Andrew