List:       kde-devel
Subject:    about our attitude towards M$ windows
From:       aleXXX <alexander.neundorf () rz ! tu-ilmenau ! de>
Date:       1999-05-28 16:01:31

Hi,

at the moment I'm really quite frustrated.
I always thought there is an OS named Windows which is market leader and
if we want to have success with KDE
we should try to support useful features offered by windows (yes, there
are some).
What I'm speaking of is accessing windows shares in LAN's using samba.
Since it's terrible if not even impossible to browse the windows/samba
shares in a LAN using the command line tools,
I'm writing a tool to simplfy this task extremely (yes, really
extremely).
Let's say you are connected to LAN with about 100 hosts and e.g. you
want to have a look if somebody has a special mp3-file
on his host (ooops).
It is actually impossible to browse more than 3 or 4 hosts using the
command line tools (no, I'm really not to lazy to type commands in the
bash).
To simplify this task I wrote kNetmon
(http://www.rz.tu-ilmenau.de/~lekus/netmon.html, there you can find a
screenshot too), which is at the moment in kde-nonbeta.
With this tools accessing shares is almost as simple as under windows
and it looks quite similar to the "network neighbourhood" in M$
exploder, additionally supports NFS and Novell Netware(experimental),
and other networking tools.

IMO it would be really good to move this program to kdenetwork (for KDE
1.x for now)
(this is actually what my mail is all about).
It runs stable and really adds usability to linux (not only KDE), it's
much more useful than e.g. KNU, which actually
adds no functionality and definitely more stable then e.g. KRN (the
newsreder), which reliable dumps core form time to time.

So I wrote to Stephan Kulow, because AFAIK he is the one who is
responsible for this stuff.
First time I wrote to him was short before KDE 1.1 release, so it was
too late, before 1.1.1 I didn't have very much time,
so now it could go into 1.1.2.
Ok, he did the work to make it compile with Qt 2.0, this was nice.
But was followed I almost couldn't believe, it was like talking to a
wall, not like talking to a friend.
To summarize his statements, he said he is not connected to a LAN with
windows-hosts, all networks he knows are UNIX-ones,
and he doesn't like the name kNetmon, so why move it from kdenonbeta to
kdenetwork ?

(Falls ich Dich voellig falsch verstanden haben sollte, bitte ich Dich
hiermit schon mal um Entschuldigung).

I didn't believe it !
To have success we must support this stuff, it is almost as important as
e.g. a good mp3-player for a modern desktop.

At the moment I am student at the Technical University of Ilmenau (you
know, the best TU of germany and the town,
where Dagmar Schipanski is from). Here there are about 3000 students,
most of them live in hostels/ apartment huoses  (soll studentenwohnheim
heissen). In almost every of these houses the students connected their
computers to LAN's.
I would say more than 90 percent of the computers are running windows.
To be not completely isolated here you have to use samba, I described
already how awfull this is.
All students I know which are connected to such a LAN and which are
running Linux with KDE and especially the ones
which just a short time ago started using linux use and like (I don't
want to say love, but it's the only tool for this task) kNetmon.
I started working an kNetmon in january 1998 and since the LAN's we have
here are quite different configured ones,
I can say that kNetmon runs well and stable with all these different
configurations.
You may say there is somebody working on support for the smb-protocoll
for Konquerer for KDE 2.0.
Ok, but kNetmon is working _NOW_ and it also supports NFS and Novell
Netware, in the future I hope Apletalk too
(if I find somebody who has access to such a network) and this not only
for KDE apps, but for all apps, since it mounts the stuff.

Here some comments from users and after them for the ones who understand
german (I think many of of you) the conversation between me and Coolo.

<cite>