List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: -fno-exceptions?
From:       Leon Widdershoven <l.widdershoven () fz-juelich ! de>
Date:       1999-05-27 9:17:58

Waldo Bastian wrote:

> David Faure wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, May 27, 1999 at 08:56:23AM +0200, Mario Weilguni wrote:
> > > Can we safely use -fno-exceptions on the core libraries?
> > > None of these files
> > > uses exceptions, and the binaries are MUCH smaller:
> > > kdecore -fexceptions: 1003kb
> > > kdecore -fno-exceptions: 582kb
> > >
> > > If possible, we should add this as default.
> >
> > This looks like a very good idea.
> > Please proceed. :)
>
> Perhaps we can add in the KDE-developers howto that exceptions and
> RTTI are not to be used in libraries and that their use is depreciated
> in other places?

I agree on the use of RTTI; I don't think there are many cases
you really need it.
But for exceptions, I think it is a very elegant error handling
way. If the libraries have a good error handling mechanism
themselves, they indeed don't need exceptions. But I think for
applications exceptions are a very practical way to handle errors.
[I won't repeat Bjarnes arguments for exceptions here].
In short; RTTI should be depreciated, but exceptions not. They should
just not be used in libraries.

Leon