List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kpixmapcache vs kiconloader
From:       Uwe Thiem <uwe () uwix ! alt ! na>
Date:       1999-05-26 0:24:36

On Tue, 25 May 1999, David Faure wrote:

> On Tue, May 25, 1999 at 09:28:16PM +0200, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > As far as I can see, both do almost the same. Is there a
> > reason for Kpixmapcache or can it be merged into kiconloader?
>
> I first thought that they should be merged (which means that kiconloader would get
> all the additional methods that exist in kpixmapcache).
> BUT : this would mean that the result of the merge would have
> to be in kio, because it uses the mimetype stuff !
> (e.g. pixmapForURL(...), pixmapForMimeType(...))
> => in fact I see no way of merging.
>
> We don't want all apps that use the icon loader to be required to link to kio...
> The same problem ever and ever again....

What kind of applications would it be that doesn't link to kio anyway?
Alright, kcalc maybe. But every app that has got an "Open..." entry
in its File menu should link to kio too, no? KDE is a network tranparent
desktop - or so we say.

Uwe

Uwe Thiem                                        Tel: +264 - 061 - 244511
P.O.Box 30955                                    Fax: +264 - 061 - 244511
Windhoek                                         Email:   uwe@uwix.alt.na
Republic of Namibia                                           uwe@kde.org
                                                       http://www.kde.org