List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: K abiword port
From:       Kurt Granroth <kurt_granroth () email ! mot ! com>
Date:       1999-05-24 14:49:30

Alex Zepeda wrote:
> On Sun, 23 May 1999, Andreas Pour wrote:
> > The problem here is not marketing but the development model:  there has no
> > "stable"/beta release of KOffice AFAIK.
>
> FWIW, Linux and Gtk+ both are constantly moving targets and have been
> reasonably successful.  It is mainly IMO a question of marketing, not
> stable releases.

Andreas is on the right track.  Don't confuse "stable" with "compileable" (is
that a word?).  Linux and Gtk+ HAVE been moving targets.. but they release
their code on a regular basis and it always (at least in the case of Linux..
not sure about Gtk+) compiles and runs!

We have *never* released a version of KOffice!  Snapshots don't count -- they
are no better than CVS.

IMO, putting KOffice on a regular release schedule is an absolute MUST.
However, this is incredibly hard to do now that it has been ported to KDE2.
To get users to try KOffice, they need to

a) get Qt 2.0 (several megs)
b) get mico 2.2.6 (more megs)
c) get kdelibs2 (more megs)
d) get koffice (more megs)

Moving KOffice to KDE2 right now was a huge mistake.  If it had remained
dependant on 1.1.1 until 2.0 was reasonably stable, then all users would need
would be

a) mico 2.2.x
b) koffice

They would already have a working qt and kdelibs!

As it is now, KOffice is a very beautiful and powerful and is leagues ahead of
any other open source office package... but is also functional vaporware.
--
Kurt Granroth            | granroth@kde.org
KDE Developer/Evangelist | http://www.pobox.com/~kurt_granroth