List:       kde-devel
Subject:    RE: FYI: size optimizations
From:       Mosfet <mosfet () jorsm ! com>
Date:       1999-05-24 5:53:55

On Sun, 23 May 1999, Rik Hemsley wrote:
... snip...
> There is the issue that we can't really do -no-rtti in case someone wants to
> compile something for KDE that uses it. I know my compiler at least gets upset
> if you forget -no-rtti when Qt is using it.

RTTI is a funny thing. If you have a library with it removed and try to link
something to it that has RTTI, it will fail. OTOH, if  the library has RTTI
and you don't use it when compiling a binary that links to it, that is fine.
The main point is if you compile libraries without RTTI then everything needs
to be compiled without it.

We can't do this because parts of KOffice use dynamic_cast. Thus my suggestion
would be to keep rtti in kdelibs and the KOffice lib components, and make it
optional for programs. This can perhaps be done with an autoconf varibable
$(NO_RTTI) that developers can use in their Makefile.am's if they are not
using any features that require it. On non-egcs systems it would just expand
to nothing.

Just my 2 cents.

mosfet@kde.org
mosfet@jorsm.com