List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kbgndwm's future
From:       Antonio Larrosa <antlarr () arrakis ! es>
Date:       1999-05-23 9:17:06

Bo Thorsen wrote:

> On Thu, 20 May 1999, Antonio Larrosa wrote:
> > Ah, if you don't like it, just don't use it, it's better than saying
> > it's wasted effort.
>
> Yes, I do think that something should be stopped! Creeping featurism is
> about how (free) software just gets more and more complex because everyone
> has a right to include options, as long as people can turn it off. In the
> long run this leads to gigantic code bases, which is extremely difficult
> to get into. Mozilla and XFree are examples of this.

Options are always good as long as they are options.
Well designed code is one thing and bad designed code is another.
If you combine options with well designed code you get cool apps.
If you combine options with bad designed code you get what you're talking
about.

> So, I have a general problem with the consensus that people can just add
> all sorts of code, no matter how many people will benefit from it.

geeks say KDE is not cool, let's make it even more cool !
I think transparent windows are cool, and fast to implement (I made it in
less than a day, just friday afternoon, night and saturday morning). So KDE
in general will benefit from it. For example, the screenshots won't need to
have that Eterm app, they can already use the original and unique Konsole.

> Please note that I have earned absolutely no saying as to what will and
> what won't go into konsole since I haven't even read the code. I'm taking
> this discussion to a more general kde argument here.

Yes, I see.

> BTW, as this discussion started on transparent background in konsole (why

Not completely transparent, but pseudotransparent, which has similar
results, with much less resource use.

> is it that it should only be terminals including this feature?), I was
> wondering if anyone knows about alpha channels in XFree 4? I heard a
> rumour that Rasterman was about to work on it, but I don't know if it's
> true. It seems to me that the growing number of people who wants to hack
> transparency for backgrounds, gnome canvas etc. should unite in the
> project of doing it for XFree in stead.

I also heard it, that's why I have implemented all this on a separate class
which manages the background pixmap and transparency thing. If we ever
get that alpha channel extension, we can use it easily, but in the meantime
we already have this. This class can also be used in other applications who
want pseudotransparencies, just in case somebody else want to do the same
for his app.

Greetings,

--
Antonio Larrosa Jimenez (who thought people would like Konsole to be cool,
		instead of complaining about the transparency stuff, and who